Thursday, July 11, 2019

Leaving a place that feels like home



The time has come, our project is almost finished and in just one week, all of us will leave Romania to go back to our home countries. After six months of being a volunteer in Arad, we saw more places than just the schools we carried out our activities. We have talked before on this blog about travelling and for me personally this was also one of the biggest advantages that came with being an EVS volunteer. Anyway, every time that you travel there will be a point that you have to come home. This made me think about what ‘’home’’ really means for me. I realised that it is not just the village I live in for a long time in the Netherlands. In these six months, Arad has started to feel like a second home for me and I am really grateful for that.
It will be weird to leave this place, after living my daily life here for a long time. I am thinking about the bridge I have to cross everyday to go home, KF (the bar we always meet together with all the volunteers), the river, my own apartment and a lot of other places that I got so used to. It is all small things, but it made me feel at home.

When other people ask me if Arad is a nice city, I always used to say that it’s not that special. I think, though, for me now this city will have a special place in my heart forever. 

- Coco

No comments:

Post a Comment